The Art of Cali'flour Toppings
If you’ve been on our site long enough, you know that we highly prize our use of cauliflower as the predominant ingredient in our pizza crust. It’s no mystery how nutritious this vegetable is, which is why using cauliflower as a starch substitute is so popular. Just look up the term “cauliflower instead of…” and you’ll find all sorts of clever substitutions.
However, when it comes to pizza, have you thought about the toppings? We also find this to be a very important factor to consider. We’ve got you covered on the crust, but it’s your job to cover the crust in a complimentary way.
When creating the perfect pizza, it’s best to balance. A little bit of protein, a little more greens, a splash of color and voila! The question is, how are you preparing your toppings? Here’s a quick list of things to keep in mind.
- You don’t need much! Our crust is very flavorful; some would even call it rich. Avoid loading it down with mountains of deliciousness or you may find yourself eating it with a fork.
- Watch your sauté for the veggies that need cooking before being topped. It’s good to soften up some of the harder foods such as zucchini, asparagus, etc. (or even apples like we do in our ridiculously good Apple Bacon recipe! Watch for it in December on our website) but try to keep them from burning. The natural sugars from the foods can become harmful if singed too much, so if you’re trying to keep it healthy, take it easy.
- Watch your sauce. Often times, the average store bought sauce will not only be way too runny and thin but also packed with sugar and other additives. Get creative. Try salad dressings, salsas, or make your own. You’d be amazed how easy and delicious a homemade sauce can be.
- The cheese is in the crust. While it’s still great to throw some extra on top, watch out for overloading. Try other cheeses as well, the options are endless!
- Lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment! When we tried our Fig & Prosciutto recipe we were very hesitant but it turned out to be a favorite, and for good reason! Some combinations of foods just don’t make sense until you put them together.
Ultimately, your pizza experience should be healthy but it should also be fun. We are confident that you will enjoy your Cali’flour experience no matter what. So get your hands dirty and create a masterpiece!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.